Kale is a nutritional powerhouse, providing loads of vitamins A, C and K as well as folate, lutein, potassium, calcium and zinc. I made this salad with hearty Red Russian Kale, but Tuscan (lacinato) also works well. Creamy chickpeas provide protein and fiber, and the sweet and crunchy honeyed almonds are a perfect counterbalance to warm, smoky paprika vinaigrette.
Kale and Chickpea Salad with Honeyed Almonds and Smoked Paprika Vinaigrette
serves 2 for a main course, 4 as a side
for the vinaigrette (makes 1 cup) –
- 1/3 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, finely chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1 small shallot (about 2 tablespoons), finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
for the salad –
- 1 large bunch kale (any variety), center ribs removed and discarded, leaves torn into small, bite sized pieces
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup honey roasted almonds, store bought or homemade (recipe below)
Place all vinaigrette ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid and shake vigorously until emulsified.
Add torn kale leaves to a large salad bowl. Pour 1 tablespoon of vinaigrette onto the kale leaves and massage with your hands for a minute or two until kale begins to soften (kale will wilt in a good way and lose its bitter edge).
Add the sliced roasted bell pepper, chickpeas, and a tablespoon or two more of vinaigrette. Toss to coat.
Divide salad among plates and sprinkle with honey roasted almonds. Pass extra vinaigrette at table.
Honey Roasted Almonds
- 1/2 cup raw almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- big pinch kosher salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Whisk together honey, oil and salt in a small bowl. Add chopped almonds and stir to coat.
Spread almond mixture evenly on baking sheet and bake for 8-9 minutes until nuts are light golden, stirring once during baking. Watch carefully to avoid burning.
Allow to cool completely.